Start Date: Summer (May/June 2022)
Length of Assignment: at least 3 months, 40 hours/week (fully remote)
Preferred Majors/Disciplines: Communications, Journalism, Writing, English, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field
Education Level: Undergraduates: At least a junior- or senior-level student who has completed two to three years of undergraduate coursework at a university/college in a communications-related field, or a current graduate student who is pursuing a master's degree in a communications field within two years of the last degree earned.
The mission of the Research Communications team is to provide engaging, informative, and ongoing communications to more than 2,000 employees who work within the Genentech Research and Early Development (gRED) area.
We are seeking a communications student who enjoys both creative and scientific writing, learning about science and innovation, and isn't afraid to jump into different communications projects with the goal of informing and engaging colleagues in the Research Department of Genentech. We are looking for someone with good listening, communications, and project-management skills with a high attention to detail and strong interviewing, writing, and editorial abilities.
This is a paid, full-time, remote-based summer internship, starting in May/June 2022. While you may be located anywhere in the U.S., you will be expected to be available during West Coast business hours, and you must have the legal right to work in the U.S.
Activities and projects you will be involved in:
* gRED intranet site for Research Department (knowledge of WordPress helpful, but not required)
* Internal employee newsletter (knowledge of Poppulo and Adobe Photoshop helpful, but not required)
* Internal social media (Slack, gChat)
* Podcast creation (working with guests, writing interview questions, research)
* Video creation (remote interviewing, editing footage)
* Development of strategic internal communications (plans, tactics, measurement)
* Involvement in best practices and assisting with day-to-day activities, including documenting and streamlining standard work processes
* Drafting of newsletter articles, emails, intranet copy, etc.
* Providing event support when needed (e.g., Research Town Halls, committee meetings)
* Bachelor's degree (at least Junior level) or recent graduate pursuing a master's
* Ability to work 10 to 12 weeks from late May to late August, 40 hours/week
* Examples of writing ability (blog posts, essays, school paper articles)
* Passion for learning and willingness to learn new tools/processes with an excitement for sharing stories about the work of our colleagues
* Willingness to learn, bring a positive and inquisitive attitude to work every day
* Actively contributing to a fun and creative team culture that embraces new ideas
* Team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to work independently
* Knowledge of Google Suite products helpful, but not required
* Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination
The Research Communications team will provide you with support and guidance to help you excel in a professional communications career after graduation. We know you'll gain valuable hands-on experience in a supportive, fun, team environment.
Beginning September 30, 2021, Genentech requires all new hires, including interns, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability, serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.