Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) Mission Technologies Division is currently seeking a motivated Designer to join our Tactical Sensor Systems organization in Syracuse, NY. We are looking for a candidate who can make an immediate impact as part of the development, assembly, and manufacturing team for elecromechanic devices and military applications.In this role, you will work with a group of highly-skilled engineers and managers creating and maintaining hardware, cable harnesses, and multipart product assemblies of a mechanical or electrical nature. Complexity of assignments requires considerable initiative, latitude, independent judgment, and the ability to work independently. The position requires the responsibility to perform routine assignments requiring the application of digital drafting methods, technical data creation procedures, and thorough knowledge of practical fabrication techniques. The candidate is expected to provide support on handling and storing of engineering models, drawings, and documents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizing drafting software, standards, and practices to generate technical drawings associated with the structural, mechanical, or electrical features of related components and assemblies.
- Preparing sketches or complete detailed layouts from 3D CAD models or written instructions on the most complex projects.
- Building and maintaining the product structure (Parts List / Bill of Materials).
- Calculating dimensions, angles, curvature of parts, materials to be used, and relationship of various parts to the entire device.
- Creating preliminary, draft, or final released technical data packages.
- Archiving and maintaining 2D and 3D files using product data management tools.
- Interpreting requirements as needed to facilitate the design's intent and functionality.
- Performing additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
2-year technical or 4-year engineering degree in a mechanical or related discipline. In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for equivalent work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience.
- Understanding of Military, ANSI, and IPC-620 standards.
- Ability reading and creating 2D digital drawings using AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Working knowledge or the ability to learn ASME Y14.100, ASME Y14.5, and Geometric, Dimensioning, and Tolerancing (GD&T) standard practice.
- Ability to perform tolerance studies and stack-up analysis.
- Knowledge of metal and plastic fabrication processes and equipment.
- Knowledge of cable harness assembly materials and methods.
- Proficiency creating 3D models using SolidWorks is preferred.
- Experience with SolidWorks PDM is a plus.
- Security Clearance Requirements: Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Existing SECRET clearance is a plus.
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Program Bonus (pay grade: T7/None)
Security Clearance: None
Telework - LimitedDiversity Statement
We are an EOE that values our employee's talent - regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion or other protected characteristics - Your Talent Is Our Strength
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information. U.S. Citizenship Required for the majority of our positions.
HII's Mission Technologies division develops integrated solutions that enable today's connected, all - domain force. Capabilities include C5ISR systems and operations; the application of AI and machine learning to battlefield decisions; defensive and offensive cyberspace strategies and EW; unmanned, autonomous systems; LVC solutions; platform modernization; and critical nuclear operations. Together, HIIs domain expertise and advanced technologies support mission partners anywhere around the globe. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
HII's is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135 - year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission - driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII's skilled workforce is 44,000 strong.